HaveFaith.org

Questions and Answers from the Bible by Les Feldick

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Is Jesus Christ God, or the Son of God, or both ?

Lord Jesus Christ is both God and the Son of God as Les Feldick explains in question (6a) Who is Lord Jesus Christ ? I remember back to a time in my late 20’s and early 30’s before I became a Christian when I had stated reading some books on reincarnation. I decided I should read some in the bible also just to get an initial idea about some things I had not learned in college.  I could tell the bible was much too big and difficult to read the entire book so I decided I could just read the red letters to start with which was supposed to be what Jesus Christ said. I learned very little about the bible of course and the books on reincarnation were pretty easy to read and seemed logical so I was leaning that direction. I realized through the teaching of Les Feldick sometime after I became a Christian that Jesus Christ was God before He was born, He was God while He a was also a man on earth, and He is God now. Every time I think about that it still makes me very emotional even now. I can't help but to wonder what I would have thought if someone had sat down with me and just read John 1:1-14 for me since I was already searching any way. They could have said: I want you to show you and tell you this one thing; The bible clearly states that Lord Jesus Christ is God. He always has been and always will be God. They could have told me: Of course you may believe whatever you decide about the bible but I just wanted to be sure you know what it really says which is that it clearly states Jesus Christ is God. I am not saying I wish things were different I am saying it seems like it would have been some pretty good information at the time and might still be for someone else.

My mother was a Christian and she talked to me quite a bit about the bible but at that time it was the 1980’s and she had just begun to get totally involved with everything she was learning about the Rapture. I have a non-Christian friend of mine that I have known all this time from the 80’s and I ask him just recently: Who is Jesus? He said “the Son of God”. But he had no idea what that really means just like I had no idea originally. I told him “but He is also God”. He did not say much about it but he had hinted previously he does not mind some discussion about Christianity. I was especially moved to tell him Jesus Christ is God considering I had just recently found out another friend I had known since the 1990’s and lost touch with had died over 1 year ago likely from the virus.

As Christians we are often taught to try to get someone to say the sinner’s prayer. Les said he has had some people in his class for a few years before they told him they finally knew they were saved. What does praying the sinners prayer mean to someone who only believes Jesus Christ was a good man like I did even when I first prayed the sinners prayer myself. Of course if someone gets as far as deciding to really contemplate that Lord Jesus Christ is God then they might ask how can this man who is the Son of God also be God? How can Jesus be God and God’s Son. I suppose they could start by reading question (6a) and then question (10b) How can we understand the Trinity? Even if someone who is a non-Christian begins to consider that this book the bible states that the God of Heaven actually came here and walked and died among us that alone is almost beyond comprehension .... but we know for certain its true. I specifically used the full name Lord Jesus Christ when I wrote the question because Les said it is disrespectful to refer to Jesus Christ as only Jesus which is just his man name by itself and I believe Jesus is never used in the bible by itself.

I get the impression if I try to get my friend to hurry up and say the sinner’s prayer he would think it would be of little interest to him or purpose for him. But if I can help him to begin to know a little bit about the real God of the bible then God may lead him the rest of the way. I think people are generally directed to pray the sinners prayer to Jesus Christ but the bible states we should pray to the father in the name of the Son (see question (22a)). I do not believe the bible indicates salvation is achieve by praying to be saved. Romans 10:17 “so then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

A Note about Reincarnation: Reincarnation is based on a simple and logical premise often crudely stated as: What goes around comes around. So if you do something good or bad to others an equal amount will be returned to you in this life or eventually in future lives. But who decides how good or bad the things you are doing are so that you will know what to expect in these future lives so you can stay within the boundaries. Well you choose your own boundaries and you decide the degree something is good or bad so I guess that makes you your own god. That gives you license which is a word Les uses. So whereas Jesus Christ says “Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.” Reincarnation allows someone to conclude bad thoughts are just in the mind and cannot really do much harm, and real physical actions are only as bad as You believe they are. Genesis 3:5 “For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.” So reincarnation will allow you to be a god with a little g which is also used to refer to “Satan, who is the god of this world.” (2 Cor. 4:4)